I-130 Visa

I-130 Visa Lawyers in Jacksonville — Helping Our Clients’ Loved Ones Gain Legal Status in America

Many U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) have family members who are foreign nationals. Getting these loved ones into the country can be a complex process, but your legal status in America can make it simpler. By filing a Petition for Alien Relative, you can begin the process of bringing a family member into the United States and helping them secure residency. An I-130 visa lawyer in Jacksonville can assist in this endeavor.

At Weldon Law Group, PLLC, our Florida immigration attorneys provide guidance and assistance to immigrants and their loved ones. Gaining legal status is much easier if a person already has a family member who is legally in the country. However, the application process and meeting necessary requirements can be complicated. Fortunately, our law firm is here to help. Contact us today for a confidential consultation.

Can an I-130 Visa Gain Legal Status for a Loved One?

If you’re hoping to bring a family member into the United States, the I-130 visa is among the simplest ways. While the process may differ based on your circumstances — such as whether you’re a permanent resident or a current citizen — it’s typically far easier than certain other immigration approaches. In most circumstances, you need only show that your immediate relative is eligible to enter the country and that you have the financial resources to assist them.

One of the most common questions we hear regarding this process is whether you can get I-130 status for other close family members. For instance, what if you’re applying for your adult child but also want their spouse and children to be eligible? A Jacksonville immigrant attorney can be helpful with this task, but typically, your child’s family members could file for an immigrant visa when your child files for a green card.

If this sounds complex, that’s because American immigration law is complex. Fortunately, the Jacksonville I-130 visa attorneys at Weldon Law Group can assist.

Who Can File for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative Visa?

The I-130 Petition for Alien Relative process is much simpler than other approaches to gaining legal status. However, there are strict requirements on who can file. A person seeking a green card cannot file on their own. Instead, a family member who is a current citizen or green card holder must file on their behalf. Here’s what you should know about both:

U.S. Citizens

The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are given priority when seeking legal status and immigrant visas. As a citizen of the country, you can bring unmarried children, parents, and your spouse without having to go on a waiting list. This can help them obtain a green card even sooner, and from that point, American citizenship isn’t far away.

Lawful Permanent Residents

The main difference between U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents filing on behalf of their close family members is the waiting period. If you’re not the spouse, unmarried child, or parent of a U.S. citizen, you’ll be placed on a priority list. The sooner you file, the sooner consular processing will occur — so contact our I-130 lawyers in Jacksonville to get started today.

Domestic Abuse and Crime Victims

If you’re suffering mental or physical abuse by a relative, there are ways to file for legal status without your abuser’s help. You may also be able to seek legal residency on your own if you’ve been the victim of certain crimes. Our law firm can help identify whether you qualify.

Are There Alternatives to the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative Process?

There is more than one way for a loved one of a U.S. citizen or LPR to help their parents, children, spouses, and others gain permanent residence in the country. Family-based immigration offers various approaches, and there are times when an I-130 petition may not be the appropriate strategy. This could depend on whether your loved one is already in the country, how close their relationship is, whether they already have a visa, and more.

This is why speaking with a Jacksonville immigration attorney is so important. We can help identify the best way to seek legal status in the country and ensure all necessary paperwork and documentation is properly filed. If your loved one typically wouldn’t qualify for entry into the U.S., we can even submit a waiver request on their behalf. If your family member wants to immigrate to the United States, there are many paths. We’ll help you find the right one.

Contact an I130 Visa Lawyer in Jacksonville Today

Being the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is beneficial for immigrants. While certain issues may dictate a different approach, the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative process is often the easiest path toward legal residency. Unfortunately, even the immediate relatives of current citizens can encounter hurdles in the process. That’s why you should have an experienced legal professional on your side.

At Weldon Law Group, PLLC, we’ve seen what can happen if mistakes are made when seeking an immigrant visa or legal status in America. Dealing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services can already be a difficult and time-consuming task, but errors in paperwork, filing an I-130, and even submitting the wrong forms can prove costly. Our I-130 visa lawyers in Jacksonville can help avoid such mistakes.

Contact us today by calling (904) 204-3420 to schedule your confidential consultation.

Request a Consultation

"*" indicates required fields