Jacksonville Probate Lawyer
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation Today!
At Weldon Law Group, PLLC, we are committed to helping clients in Jacksonville prepare their estates for the probate process to ensure their assets and property are transferred to the right beneficiaries. Our probate attorneys in Jacksonville know that probate can be confusing if you aren’t a legal expert, which is why we are here to help you sort out all of your affairs so that your estate can pass through probate without any serious issues. If you are worried about the probate process, you need to get in touch with our legal team to discuss your situation so we can add the necessary trusts and wills to your estate plan.
What Happens During Probate?
When your estate goes through probate, the court will do the following:
- Determine if there is a valid will
- Complete an inventory of all your property and assets
- Appraise your property and assets
- Distribute your property in accordance with the will or the orders of the probate judge
What Assets Are Subject to Probate in Florida?
In Florida, the assets that are subject to probate are those that are in the decedent’s name.
Below are examples of assets that are subject to probate:
- Annuity contract without a beneficiary
- Bank account
- Investment account
- Life insurance policy
- Real estate with only the decedent’s name
- Retirement account without a specific beneficiary
How Can I Protect My Assets in Probate?
If you are worried that your loved ones might not be awarded your assets during the probate process, you will need to consult with a skilled Jacksonville probate lawyer.
A probate attorney can help you add the following to your estate plan:
- Payable-on-death designations for your bank accounts
- Transfer-on-death registration for securities
- Living trusts
- Last will and testament
- Joint tenancy
- Transfer-on-death registration for vehicles
- Transfer-on-death deeds for real estate
Is Probate Required in Florida?
Not every estate must go through probate. It is only required if the decedent died with probate assets. These are assets that are solely in the decedent’s name. Non-probate assets are assets with designated beneficiaries or jointly titled.
Why Do I Need a Probate Lawyer?
Although you might not want to think about it, you need to take the time to consider how your loved ones will handle your affairs after you pass away.
A probate lawyer in Jacksonville can prepare your estate by helping you:
- Draft a Will: Our legal professionals can ensure your will is properly drafted and includes all of your designated beneficiaries, so you can trust they are taken care of after you die.
- Avoid Family Disputes: We know that family disputes are common during the probate process, which is why we are here to consult with you and review the terms of your will and add the estate tools you need to prevent arguments among family members.
- Fight Legal Claims: You need to include estate planning tools that protect your assets and property from legal claims brought by creditors and other parties who want to contest your will. We can set you up with the legal protections you need to deter parties that want to take advantage of your estate and beneficiaries after you pass away.
Free Consultation With Our Jacksonville Probate Lawyer
If you have more questions about preparing your estate for the probate process, you need to give us a call today so we can get together and assess your situation. Our probate attorneys in Jacksonville will review all of your options and explain which types of estate planning tools you need to protect your interests and ensure your loved ones are taken care of when you are no longer around. We are committed to looking out for our clients’ best interests, and we are ready to create a solid estate plan for you today.
To schedule your free case consultation with a probate lawyer in Jacksonville, give us a call at (904) 712-2556. We are here to guide you!
“Another approval for United States citizenship”
“Congratulations to our client just sworn in as a United States Citizen!”
“What a wonderful day getting my client from Costa Rica approved for United States Citizenship.”